Four easy ways to keep the weight off over the holidays, plus a nutritious and delicious recipe for chocolate pear bread!
This post is sponsored by Chobani as part of an ongoing partnership. I was compensated for my time, but as always all opinions are my own.
Holiday parties are in full effect and so are all the extra treats that come along with them. Whether you’re feasting on potato latkes, eggnog, or Christmas cookies galore, you don’t need to be a victim of year-end weight gain. Keep the weight off this holiday season by following these few tips. You’ll enjoy all the holidays have to offer and still fit into your little black dress on New Year’s Eve!
And for a sweet treat you can feel good about, make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for my Chocolate Pear Bread recipe!
4 Tips to Keep the Weight Off Over the Holidays
- Mark your calendar. Your calendar is probably filled with cocktail parties and events over the next few weeks, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find time to exercise. Just like you schedule all the holiday festivities, mark your calendar with specific times to move your body. Whether it’s a walk around the block during your lunch break or a full-on sweat session at the gym, you’ll feel better physically and mentally if you get your adrenaline flowing.
- Be choosy. While you’re at it scheduling in exercise, take a look at how many events are on tap for the week and decide if it’s necessary – and worth it – to go to all of them. Sure, you don’t want to miss your best friend’s amazing bash, but do you really need to go to every office mate’s holiday party? Save your time and energy (and calories) for the events that matter the most. And while you’re at it, be choosy about what treats you enjoy at the events you do go to. They won’t all be as nutrient-rich as the chocolate pear bread you see here!
- Stick to routine. You may think it’s better to save up calories for all those holiday specialties, but if you skip meals or eat too little the day of a party, your body will hold on to every last morsel you put in your mouth. Instead, follow your normal eating routine (which hopefully includes regular meals and snacks) to keep your metabolism going and your body in balance. If anything, just make better choices during meals and snacks on days of holiday parties. One of the reasons I love Chobani® Greek yogurts is that they have something for everyone – even kid-friendly pouches and tubes. And with their grab-and-go packaging, they’re a convenient choice throughout the day from breakfast to snacks, packing more protein, less sugar and fewer ingredients than other popular on-the-go options. It’s the perfect snack to choose before a holiday dinner or party!
- Spend wisely. I’m talking about calories, not money (although with all the holiday gifts you’re buying, that’s important too). There’s no doubt you’ll be eating more than usual over the next few weeks, but that doesn’t mean it should be a free for all. Before you fill your plate at parties, survey the offerings to see what appeals to you the most. And whatever you do, don’t deprive yourself of what you really want – restriction only backfires, leaving you thinking about and craving that forbidden fruit even more.
Now that you have some tools to help you keep the weight off over the holidays, it’s time to indulge in a nutritious and delicious treat. This Chocolate Pear Bread looks and tastes decadent, but is a good source of calcium thanks to the inclusion of Chobani Greek yogurt, which makes it super moist and satiating.
It’s also a good source of fiber thanks to whole grain flour and fiber-rich pears. Bring it to your office holiday party for a sweet treat everyone can feel good about or enjoy it in the quiet of your own home with a cup of coffee by your side.
Chocolate Pear Bread
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 5.3 oz container Chobani Cinnamon Pear Blended Yogurt
- 1 cup chopped pear (pear should be ripe, but firm)
- 2 to 3 medium-thick slices pear
- Preheat oven to bake at 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and oil until smooth. Add the yogurt and whisk again until smooth.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually mix in the wet ingredients. Do not overmix. Fold in the chopped pears. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and make a row of the sliced pears down the center of the loaf. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and rest for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the loaf and turn cake onto a wire rack to let cool completely.