Quick and easy grilled fresh salmon burgers are full of flavor and nutrition. A great alternative to classic beef burgers for your summer barbecue!
Five years ago I joined a recipe challenge group called The Recipe ReDux and shared my salmon burger recipe in my inaugural post. Five years later The Recipe ReDux is bigger than ever and my involvement in the group has led me to work harder on improving my recipes and my food photography, meet amazing colleagues and healthy food bloggers, and grow my brand and my business immensely.
While today is not the ReDux reveal day (that happens on the 21st and 22nd of every month – you can find five years’ worth of ReDux recipes here), I have been meaning to update the recipe and photographs for these Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers for quite some time. What better time than now – the start of summer and grilling season!
Ingredients & Preparation
In this new and improved recipe I have seriously cut the prep time by whipping out the food processor to pulse the salmon and the rest of the ingredients until it’s all a smooth consistency.
Once the fish is pureed I form the mixture into patties and refrigerate them for about 30 minutes before grilling. The refrigeration helps to solidify the burgers so they’re not too loose and fall through the grates of the grill. Another way to prevent this potential problem with grill grates is to start grilling the burgers on a piece of aluminum foil coated with cooking spray or oil, and then transfer them to the grates when partially cooked.
These Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers cook up pretty quickly – I recommend 3 to 4 minutes per side. If you like your fish more well done, add another minute or two per side. Since you won’t have much time to make side dishes while the burgers are cooking, I suggest you use the time while the burgers are in the refrigerator to make your side dishes and put together any burger toppings.
What are you going to top these burgers with? The original recipe combined them with my Spicy Fresh Cherry Chutney, but you can also serve them with my Homemade Apple Chutney (shown in the pictures here) or my Tomato Jam. The Lemon Yogurt Sauce I pair with my Corn & Basil Cakes would also be delish as would sliced avocado or some guac! No matter how you top it, you can’t go wrong!
Ready for the new and improved recipe? Let’s get cooking!
Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into large chunks (see note below)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper (remove seeds and ribs of pepper; add based on level of spiciness desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat panko (for gluten-free, use GF bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray for the grill
In a large food processor, pulse salmon until mostly chopped. Add red onion, jalapeno, lemon juice, panko, salt, and pepper and continue to pulse until smooth. Divide salmon mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties. Refrigerate burgers for 30 minutes.
Heat grill to 450-500 degrees F. Spray grates with nonstick cooking spray or brush with oil. (Or line grates with a piece of oil-coated foil - see note below.)
Remove salmon burgers from refrigerator and place on grill. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until cooked through. If you like your salmon more well done, cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- - When I buy my fish I ask for them to remove the skin - saves a step and much easier for them to do it with their fish knives!
- - Burgers can also be made indoors on a grill pan or in the broiler.
- - When cooking on a grill, I recommend placing burgers on a piece of aluminum foil coated with cooking spray or olive oil. Once burgers are partially cooked they can be transferred directly on the grates. This will prevent the salmon from falling through the grates.